Saturday 1 June 2013

Getting Started


My grand-father's canoe was built in Shawinigan, Québec in 1929 by First Nations folks. He paid $2 per foot for his 14-foot cedar strip and canvas canoe. It was used extensively both at the cottage and on fishing or hunting trip.
I have fond memories of learning to canoe in this craft, and paddling with my grand-father. I was allowed to borrow it a few times to go tripping in places such as Parc de Lanaudière or Algonquin Park.
I was lucky enough to be given the canoe just before my grand-father's death. Unfortunately, it suffered some damage over the years. A few ribs were broken before I got it. Some dry rot occured in a couple places. The canvas started falling apart, which isn't a great surprise considering the last time it was changed was 40 years ago!
I am embarking on the restoration of this sweet craft. This is where I'll document my progress.
Le canot de mon grand-père a été bâti à Shawinigan, Québec en 1929 par les Amérindiens. Il a payé $2 par pied pour le canot de 14 pieds, fait en cèdre et toile. Le canot a été utilisé au chalet et pendant nombreux voyages de chasse et pèche.
J'ai de très bons souvenirs d'avoir appris à pagayer dans ce canot, et aussi d'aller en canot avec mon grand-père. J'ai pû l'emprunter quelques fois pour aller en canot-camping au Parc de Lanaudière ou dans le Algonquin Park.
J'ai eu la chance de recevoir le canot peu avant la mort de mon grand-père. Malheureusement, le canot a souffert au cours des ans. Quelques côtes ont étées brisées avant que je ne l'aye. Un peu de pourritute sèche s'installe à quelques places. La toile tombe en morceau, ce qui n'est pas vraiment surprenant vu que la dernière fois que ça a été changé était il y a 40 ans!
Je commence la rénovation et réparation de ce très beau canot. Je documenterai mon progrès ici.


Charlie playing in the canoe. I look forward to the day she'll come canoeing with.

No comments:

Post a Comment